AS OF 4/14 WE HAVE A NEW SOURCE FOR THE DOWNLOAD. (you have to be a registered LCAF member to complete this stuff, btw)
First, download this download manager: http://files.freedownloadmanager.org/fdminst.exe
Then download the big zip file from Monk's drop box:
http://housesteiner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109&p=869&sid=00a49527ebf68a04cf58d0f2073c8b93#p869 (moved here 5/5/12 for security reasons)
Create a folder called 'games' somewhere. I put it in my c:\program files\games folder, but the below instructions say don't do that. It works fine on my Win 7 x 64 system from this folder. I also didn't bother disengaging my virus scanner to download or install it, so you probably don't have to. Later, I ended up cutting and pasting the entire games folder out of /programs and straight to c:\games in order for later downloads to work correctly.
Unzip it to that folder and follow the directions below starting at 'first use testing.'
After you know the game runs, you will have to change the registry so you can connect to the multiplayer servers.
Connecting to Kurita.Mektek.Net:
You will need to edit the registry to connect to Mektek's Kurita list of servers. You can edit the Registry yourself if you are comfortable with this task. Or you can use the Automated Registry Fix I wrote instead.
=> ZoneServer = kurita.mektek.net
Or RightClick on this and choose "Save Target As..." for an Automated Registry Fix for MekMatch.
=> http://mpbtgenesis.net/Kurita_MekMatch.reg After you do this, you should be able to see the multiplayer servers available for connection including HOS_practice_server. You will need the coventry maps to play with us. The following thread has those downloads. You just download the zip files, open them, and copy/paste them into the appropriate sub-folders in your MW4 game folder. http://housesteiner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78&sid=06ea44117c52810f3fdc1761a98fcacd
You will need these additional files to join us:
Coventry Maps: http://housesteiner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78&sid=00a49527ebf68a04cf58d0f2073c8b93
MW4 missions set up for multiplayer: http://www.fileplanet.com/165727/160000/fileinfo/MechWarrior-4:-Mercenaries---Co-Op-Mod
These are the mechs we are using to practice with: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51921603/Revised%203049%20Mech%20List%206-1-2012.zip move your 'user variants' to a copy folder and put these in its place before you launch the game to play with multiplayer. You can move them back out at ease. I have 3 folders: user variants, user variants backup, 3048 mechs. I just switch them out when I go multiplayer and switch back the original files when I play the campaign on my own.
NOTE: I had my MW4 mercs game saved to my Programs folder, and this install didn't work properly. It worked fine when moved my programs/games folder to C:/games.
Intelligence Corps Communication
From the desk of:Hauptmann-Kommandant PerryRaptor ( Agent P )
Installation of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries Free Edition
Here is a solution for getting Mektek’s free release of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries (aka MTMP3) and all of the patches. You do not need to use Mektek’s MTX software or download any additional patches or hotfixes as of version MP51.03.01.0030c. You do not need a Mechwarrior CD of any kind to install or play this free release.
• Also, included are the maps currently running on the MPBT:Genesis Dedicated Server; and
• MekpakConsole, a custom installation and troubleshooting application I created.SUMMARY:
• Pre-installation Tasks;
• Windows XP Installation Tasks;
• Windows Vista and Windows 7 Installation Tasks
;• First Use Testing;
• Firewalls, Routers, and Internet Gateway Devices; and
• Mekpak Console Application and Troubleshooting.
1. You will need a Download Manager to get the base install file. Our recommendation is this free one >> http://files.freedownloadmanager.org/fdminst.exe and it does work with Windows Vista 32-64 bit and Windows 7 32-64 bit too. The file download size is 6.65 mb.
NOTE: the reason for using a Download Manager is it can handle torrent files and overcome Web Host Provider pauses during downloads, approximately every 100 MB or 13.5 minutes, and can restart a download where it left off.
2. You will need to create a new folder and sub-folder, e.g. C:\GAMES\MW4M-MTMP3. You can create these new folders on a different drive as needed for your PC system hardware. Do not create these new folders within C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ due to enhanced security measures implemented by Microsoft. You will need a minimum of 5.0 GB of free disk space.
3. You will need to configure your Antivirus and Security software to not scan these new folders you’ve created. Also, you will need to configure them to not scan downloading files as well.
4. You will need to configure the Free Download Manager to ensure it does not invoke your Antivirus and Security software and to set the download folder to C:\GAMES\. Should you use a different download manager you will need to configure it accordingly.
NOTE: McAfee and Symantec software are known to throw a fit during the downloading, installation, and playing this game. They silently delete or quarantine two or more critical files automatically. So look for such features within your software to disable this behavior.
5. You will need Microsoft .Net Framework 2, and all patches and updates, in order for this free edition to work. By default, Windows Vista and 7 include this version of the framework during operating system installation, and is not listed in the "Control Panel - Programs - Unistall or Change a Program.
"WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION TASKS: (32-Bit)
1. Disable Windows Defender. There is a reason for this important step! If you do not know if it is installed or if it is enabled try google “disable windows defender windows xp.”
2. Using your download manager, get => http://mpbtgenesis.net/MW4M_MP3.zip and save it in the “C:\GAMES\ folder.
3. Use WinZip or 7zip and expand/extract the file => MW4M_MP3.zip into the “C:\GAMES\MW4M-MTMP3\” folder.
4. Once expanded, run the AutoConfig_mercs.exe first. This step will create the registry needs.
5. Turn on your antivirus and security software and scan the “C:\GAMES\MW4M-MTMP3\” folder manually.
6. Go to the section below titled "First Use Testing".
WINDOWS VISTA AND 7 INSTALLATION TASKS: (32 and 64-bit)
For those of you who running the latest Windows Operating System (OS) from Microsoft you'll need to know and apply these additional steps.
1. Windows Defender is installed by default. So you will need to disable it before installing the game. Try => http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/03/11/ho ... windows-7/ if you need some help.
2. The User Account Control (UAC) needs to be disabled before installing. Try => http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm
3. Using your download manager, get => http://mpbtgenesis.net/MW4M_MP3.zip and save it in the “C:\GAMES\" folder.
4. Right Click on the downloaded file with your mouse and select “Properties”. Select the “Compatibility” tab then check/select “run program as Windows XP SP-3” and check “Run As Administrator” before you attempt to extract the file.
NOTE: The Home Edition of Windows 7 or Vista does not have the compatibility layer. For Professional and Ultimate editions you can get it from => http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
5. Once expanded, locate the file => AutoConfig_mercs.exe and repeat step #4 for this file as well.
6. Run the file => AutoConfig_mercs.exe first. This step will create the registry needs.
7. While inside AutoConfig_mercs.exe select your graphics card and set the screen resolution to your Monitor's native resolution.
8. Turn on your antivirus and security software and scan the “C:\GAMES\MW4M-MTMP3\” folder manually.
9. Go to the section below titled "First Use Testing.
FIRST USE TESTING:
1. Disconnect all joysticks and game controllers.
2. Locate the file => MekpakConsole.exe and launch it.
3. Locate the button “Create Shortcut” and click it. This will create a Desktop shortcut.
4. Using either the Desktop Shortcut or the “Launch Now” button.NOTE: It is normal for AutoConfig_Mercs.exe to run a second time. This step creates the options.ini file for the game.
5. You will need to agree to the license at some point. It may be hidden behind an existing application window.
6. The Microsoft Windows Firewall, if enabled, will prompt you to allow the game to pass through. It may be hidden behind the game window.NOTE: If you are using a third party software firewall you will most likely need to configure it allowing the game to pass through it. See the section for Firewalls, Routers, and Internet Gateway Devices for applicable ports that need to be forwarded.
7. Click on the “Multiplayer” menu choice.
8. Click the “Connect” button and you should see hosted servers.
9. Try to connect to one or more servers.NOTE: You will be connecting using the “PerryRaptor” user name. You can change it in the “Roster” game menu choice.
10. If you are able to connect and play, turn on your antivirus.
11. For Windows Vista and 7 only, turn on your UAC and/or create a policy to not show a warning for MW4mercs.exe.
FIREWALLS, ROUTERS, AND INTERNET GATEWAY DEVICES:
1. First, I must say running more than one software Firewall is unnecessary, and likely to cause you more headaches. Pick the one you are comfortable with and keep it updated.
2. Today, modern, recently manufactured Routers or Internet Gateway Devices (IGD) have a robust Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall process that will prevent inbound connections to your home network.
3. The question is “do I need a software firewall on my PC if my router has one?” The answer is yes. If you surf the internet, download files, and conduct online financial services such as banking. The firewall on your PC prevents your internet browser from makingoutbound connections in response to malicious logic sites, Trojans, Viruses, and Worms.NOTE: Antivirus and Security applications such as Symantec and McAfee implement additional outbound and inbound restrictions, and, as such require additional knowledge not covered in this guide.
4. Port Forwarding: For a single PC in your home to connect and play MW4M MP3 online you will need the following ports opened up in your router, your PC Firewall, and IGD. This PC can host a game or act as a dedicated server. - 47624 TCP- 27999 TCP- 28800 to 28810 TCP and UDP- 2300 to 2320 TCP and UDP5.
A Second PC Port Forwarding: For each additional PC on your home network these ports will be needed to be opened in the router and PC Firewall. This PC will not be able to host a game:- 2321 to 2330 TCP and UD
PNOTE: Should you have more than one PC involved with MW4M MP3, the PC with all the additional ports forwarded must be powered on and connected to your home network in order for a second PC to play online.
6. Additional Routers on your home network can be tricky to setup. The first router (the one connected to your DSL modem) continues to be a router. The second router technically becomes a switch, thus adding additional wired and wireless ports.
7. Also, be aware that some recent DSL adapters and modems have firewalls and routers inside them. Consult the user's manual or contact the equipment provider.
MEKPAK CONSOLE APPLICATION AND TROUBLESHOOTING:
1. Saitek CyBorg EVO Joystick. If you have a USB Keyboard installed, it may interfere with setting Joystick custom key/button bindings. Disconnect your Keyboard before launching the game and go set your Joystick bindings immediately and test them before reconnecting your keyboard.
2. Verizon MiFi users. I currently do not know how to setup one of these adapters. So if you know how or know of a link online somewhere please post it somewhere on forums. We have one member currently struggling with this adapter and his ISP and Verizon are of no help.
Disclaimer: This is copied from the LCAF forums. I am not the author, nor am I a techie. It has worked for some. Connecting to the online servers seems to be troublesome for most. This is (probably) due to port forwarding issues in the router setup.
I will create a comment box/blog as a sub-page for this one for comments or questions.
Use this if you can't get into Kurita.mektek.net
How to change your registry to get into Kurita.mektek.net
Short version is find the ZoneServer registry entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mektek.net\MekMatch and change it to kurita.mektek.net
Step by step version follows:
Close Mercs if it is running.
In Windows go to Start menu and Run command.
Type regedit and click OK.
On the left pane of the window that appears look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
Click on the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand the list.
Look for Software in the dropdown list.
Click on the + next to Software to expand the list.
Look for mektek.net in the dropdown list.
Click on the + next to mektek.net to expand the list.
Look for MekMatch in the dropdown list.
Click on the MekMatch folder and the right pane of the window will show its contents.
There is an entry called ZoneServer which is set to davion.mektek.net by default.
Double click the ZoneServer text and a popup window appears.
Change the value data to kurita.mektek.net and click OK.
Exit the registry window and restart Mercs, it'll now be set for the Kurita MekMatch server.
(from: Raptor Rage in Minnisota, ty)